October 12 2015 Emmabuntus 3 celebrates brotherhood
On October 12 2015,
This distribution was originally designed to facilitate the reconditioning of computers given to humanitarian organizations, especially Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution's name obviously comes from), and to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of hardware to reduce the overconsumption of raw materials (*).
This update is delivered to further decrease the workload on the Emmaüs Communities using Emmabuntüs, and on our JerryClan friends, in France and in Africa (Ivory Coast, Togo, Cameroon, Chad, Benin, and Senegal), who practice the computer reuse by manufacturing Jerry Do It Together under Emmabuntüs, these computers being used, in turn, to develop innovative applications in their respective countries.
The Emmabuntüs Community promotes the brotherhood among peoples, and supports concrete actions such as those organized by:
- the SAVAS association, animated by David Rochelet (member of Electrolab and of the Emmabuntüs Collective) organizing the training for electronics in the frame of 4th International Day of the Girl in 2015 in Douala (Cameroon);
- the Cyber Jerry project led by Ayiyikoh (Business incubator and FabLab based in West Africa) for the creation of an Internet café exclusively equipped with Jerry (computer made of reused electronic components lodged in a plastic jerry-can) to provide computers and Internet free access to all audiences;
- the associations Les PC de l'Espoir, Eisenia, THOT (c.i.s), Atelier solidaire de Saint-Ouen, Association La Ruche to reuse computers and Montpel'libre promoting the free software within the Emmaüs community of Montpelier.
This version 1.02 includes the following fixes and enhancements :
- Release based on Xubuntu 14.04.3
- Plugin updates for Firefox, Chromium and Thunderbird
- Ltools 3.0 extension update within Libre Office
- Kiwix 0.9 update
- HPLIP 3.15.7 update
- Picasa pour Windows 3.9.140 update
- Radio list update for RadioTray
- Search engine Startpage replaced by Qwant
- Extension AdBlock Plus replaced by uBlock Origin
- Addition of Pipeligth Flash for Firefox to support Flash 19, and more
- Fix the wallpaper management in order to display the full set of wallpapers
- Activation of the Hibernation functionality
To ensure a correct installation of Emmabuntüs, we strongly suggest to run it without Internet connection, and to connect back the computer to the network during the first system restart, when it is time to install (or not) the optional non-free software. Please have a look at How To Install Emmabuntüs 3 on the Developpez.com site.
According to the ADEME from manufacturing to disposal, through its use, each stage of the life of the computer equipment can be quantified by its environmental impact: making a computer and a screen requires 1.8 tons of resources (240 kg of fossil fuels, 22 kg of chemicals, 1500 liters of water).
For the Ecoinfo's group the priority is to act. Each member of the group does it by himself (purchasing, maintenance, development of networks), but everyone of us can also contribute by his personal behavior. Their conclusion: " if it is already possible to intervene at all stages of the cycle of hardware, the most effective action you can have is to limit the environmental impact of these materials by reducing your purchases and by increasing their life ! ".