March 29 2016 Emmabuntus 3 celebrates commitment solidarity
On March 29 2016,
celebrates Solidarity in commitment
This distribution was originally designed to facilitate the reconditioning of computers given to humanitarian organizations, especially Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution's name obviously comes from), and to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of hardware to reduce the overconsumption of raw materials (*).
This update is delivered to further decrease the workload on the Emmaüs Communities using Emmabuntüs, and on our JerryClan friends, in France and in Africa (Ivory Coast, Togo, Cameroon, Chad, Benin, and Senegal), Ayiyikoh, DouaLab, who practice the computer reuse by manufacturing Jerry Do It Together under Emmabuntüs, these computers, in turn, enabling the development of innovative applications in their respective countries.
This version will be used by new associations using emmabuntüs:
- Ailleurs solidaires that will make during April 2016 its second donation campaign of computers running Emmabuntüs in Nepal;
- Maurice of « Je suis Jerry » (I am Jerry), located in the South West of France, who reuses computers to do wonderful Jerrys with the help of artists like Odile;
- Claude of the A.S.I. YOVOTOGO association and Yobe of JUMP Lab'Orione center, tool up in 2015, three computer labs within educational structures of northern Togo and proceed with the implementation and equipment of future computer rooms.
This version 1.03 includes the following fixes and enhancements :
- Release based on Xubuntu 14.04.4.
- Plugin updates for Firefox, Chromium and Thunderbird
- Ltools 3.1 extension update within Libre Office
- HPLIP 3.16.2 update
- Minitube 2.5.2 update
- Installation of vmg through deb (Thanks to Arpinux)
- Added TurboPrint testing mode (Thanks to Frafa)
- Added Brother script (Thanks to Jack)
- Fixed computer price script
- Fixed Accessibility script
- Fixed Audacious configuration file
- Fixed missing icons in the menu
- Fixed Gparted launch script
- Fixed lChildsplay launch bug
To ensure a correct installation of Emmabuntüs, we strongly suggest to run it without Internet connection, and to connect back the computer to the network during the first system restart, when it is time to install (or not) the optional non-free software. Please have a look at How To Install Emmabuntüs 3 on the Developpez.com site.
According to the ADEME from manufacturing to disposal, through its use, each stage of the life of the computer equipment can be quantified by its environmental impact: making a computer and a screen requires 1.8 tons of resources (240 kg of fossil fuels, 22 kg of chemicals, 1500 liters of water).
For the Ecoinfo's group the priority is to act. Each member of the group does it by himself (purchasing, maintenance, development of networks), but everyone of us can also contribute by his personal behavior. Their conclusion: " if it is already possible to intervene at all stages of the cycle of hardware, the most effective action you can have is to limit the environmental impact of these materials by reducing your purchases and by increasing their life ! ".