Wiki on the implementation of Distributions Emmabuntüs
The aim of this Xth GNU/Linux distribution:
These distributions claim to be simple, open and fair. They are the results of the humanitarian crossing the free culture, to build together distributions for everyone.
Emmabuntüs includes all the required softwares to quickly and smoothly familiarise yourself with GNU/Linux. The version is based on Ubuntu and includes the script "Équitable", meaning “fair”. It has been necessary to find a compromise to ease the access of the distributions for everyone. That’s why we have included some proprietary softwares like Skype while waiting for a better solution but still for novice users.
In order to enhance the navigation a Dock has been added. You can access to all the included softwares through this great tool.
- Distributions based on variants of Ubuntu LTS (Lucid Lynx - 10.04, Precise Pangolin - 12.04, Trusty Tahr - 14.04)
- Quick Setup Mode through automation scripts (preseed)
- Mode Live on DVD, USB (Multisystem, UNetbootin, USB-Creator)
- Install standalone without Internet, everything is in the distribution
- Installation or not non-free software (Flash Player, Codec, Skype, etc.)
- An additional 60 applications
- A dock allowing access to all applications
- 6 languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German) supported in Emmabuntüs 2
Stay informed of our actions on blog.emmabuntus.org
Contact us view this page
The collective Emmabuntüs having developed several distributions based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS variants :
- Emmabuntüs Equitable (in French) based on Ubuntu 10.04, the first version designed to facilitate the refurbishing of computers given to human help associations
- Lemmabuntüs Equitable (in French) based on Lubuntu 10.04, suitable for machines with only 256 MB of RAM
- Ocarinabuntüs (in French) based on Ubuntu 10.04, developped with the French history society Saint-George & Dalayrac (Csgd94120), for the research and education in social studies and with some others associations.
decided not to develop one version now called Emmabuntüs 2 based on Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. It combines the advantages of lightness and adaptability for reconditioning machine data to humanitarian organizations.
Comparing to others similar distributions, Emmabuntüs claims to be easier, more accessible and lighter. However, it offers a wide range of installed softwares and includes a large amount of humanitarian and free softwares/projects weblinks and documents.
The actual main features of Emmabuntüs are also linked to its birth context: This distribution is also used for upgrading old computers to serve humanitarian projects.
This distributions are very new, young but rely on the reliability of Ubuntu and Lubuntu LTS to offer a simple, pleaseant and easy to use environment.
Which version to choose?
Emmabuntüs 3 (14.04 LTS)
Based on Xubuntu 14.04 LTS, it consists of the following software, see the list. For computers with at least a processor running at 2.0 GHz with 512 MB of RAM and 20 GB of free space for the installation. For use in live mode or in a virtual machine, it is necessary to have at least 1 GB of RAM, for more information on this subject see the F.A.Q.
See the release announcements :
- September 1st, 2014, Emmabuntus 3 celebrates Festival of Humanity
- June 9th, 2014, Emmabuntüs 3 supports Môh Ni Bah project
Based on Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, it consists of the following software, see the list. For computers with at least a processor running at 1.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM and 20 GB of free space for the installation. For use in live mode or in a virtual machine, it is necessary to have at least 1 GB of RAM, for more information on this subject see the F.A.Q.
See the release announcements :
- December 18th, 2014, Emmabuntüs 2 participed campaign « Dégooglisons Internet »
- June 22th, 2014, Emmabuntüs 2 celebrates salon Emmaüs
- February 24th, 2014, Emmabuntüs 2 gives a second life to computers classroom background
- In 2014, Emmabuntüs 2 gives a second life to 64-bit computers
- November 18th, 2013, Emmabuntüs 2 gives a second life to old computers
- July 21th, 2013, Emmabuntus 2 celebrates M-Pregnancy ;-)
- April 1st, 2013, Emmabuntüs 2 celebrates Software Freedom Day ;-)
- December 8th, 2012, the Emmabuntüs 2 celebrates Al-Jerry ;-)
- September 21th, 2012, the Emmabuntüs 2 celebrates Free in peace ;-)
- August 4th, 2012, the Emmabuntüs 2 continues its Free revolution ;-)
- July 14th, 2012, the Emmabuntüs 2 make its Free revolution ;-)
- June 6th, 2012, the Emmabuntüs 2 finally arrived
Emmabuntüs (10.04 LTS)
Emmabuntüs Equitable : For computers with at least a processor running at 1.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM and 20 GB of free space for the installation.
Lemmabuntüs Equitable : For computers with at least a Pentium III running at 0.6 GHz with 256 MB of RAM and 10 GB of free space for the installation.
Ocarinabuntüs : For computers with at least a processor running at 1.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM and 20 GB of free space for the installation.
Help for use the distributions
- Hardware Requirements
- How to recondition old Boxes with Emmabuntüs ?
- Installing Data Free Culture on Emmabuntüs
- page of contact
Volunteers of the Emmabuntüs Team
These volunteers are taking or have taken part of the project to try to make changes happen:
News versions of the Emmabuntüs distributions logo:
Old versions of the Emmabuntüs distributions logo: