June 22th 2014 Emmabuntus 2 celebrates Salon Emmaus
June 22th, 2014,
Emmabuntüs 2 celebrates
On June 22th, 2014, the Emmabuntüs Team is pleased to announce the 7th maintenance release of Emmabuntüs 2 1.08 based on based on Xubuntu 12.04.4. This distribution was designed to make the refurbishing of computers given to humanitarian organizations easier, especially Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution's name comes from), and to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of hardware and to reduce over consumption & waste in electronics (*).
This update is delivered to improve the work of reconditioning Emmaus using Emmabuntüs, and support us as Emmaus Paris, Montpellier and Annemasse. For the first time in the work of reconditioning Emmabuntüs will be presented on the driveway trades Emmaus Paris Salon by Vasile of the Emmaus Paris community.
We take this ad to thank our friends Montpel'libre have a lively year for every month a meeting and presentation of Emmabuntüs and Free Software to Emmaus Montpellier-Saint-Aunès community.
For this version 1.08, fixes and refinements have been made:
- Updated packages for Xubuntu 12.04.4, codecs and extensions contained in web browsers (Firefox, Chromium), Thunderbird mail reader.
- Replacement extension Ghostery by Disconnect in browsers.
- Deletion of obsolete UbuntuOne Service.
- Update the extension Language Tools 2.5 for LibreOffice.
- Update drivers for HP printers.
- Update TeamViewer 9.
- Adding Scribus.
- Adding Picasa Windows version 3.9 instead of version 3.0 of Linux obsolete.
- Addition of MTP-fuse, to extend the possibilities of this new version in terms of connection to the phone Android 4.0.
To ensure proper installation of Emmabuntüs 2, we advise you to first install it without Internet, and then to get online on the first reboot to complete your installation.
According to the ADEME from manufacturing to disposal, through its use, each stage of the life of the computer equipment can be quantified by its environmental impact: making a computer and a screen requires 1.8 tons of resources (240 kg of fossil fuels, 22 kg of chemicals, 1500 liters of water).
The group Ecoinfo's priority is to act. Each member of the group does it by himself (purchase, maintenance, development of networks), but everyone of us can also contribute by his behavior. Their conclusion: " if it is already possible to intervene at all stages of the cycle of hardware, the most effective action is to limit the environmental impact of these materials by reducing your purchases and by increasing their life ! ".
- Extract from Lettre N°3 – Octobre 2008 : L'informatique omniprésente. Quel impact sur l'environnement ?
- Exposition Le numérique et l'environnement (Analyse Le numérique et l'environnement )
- Quelle est l’empreinte carbone d’un ordinateur ?