February 24th, 2014, Emmabuntus 2 gives a second life to computers classroom background
In 2014, Emmabuntüs 2
gives a second life to
computers in the classroom background
On February 24th, 2014, the Emmabuntüs Team is pleased to announce the 6th maintenance release of Emmabuntüs 2 1.07 based on Xubuntu 12.04.4. This distribution was designed to make the refurbishing of computers given to humanitarian organizations easier, especially Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution's name comes from), and to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of hardware and to reduce over consumption & waste in electronics (*).
This update is delivered to improve the work of reconditioning of all those who, like Christian, believe that free and alternative computing is possible, and that it is not necessary to have the latest tablet to teach our children.
To ensure proper installation of Emmabuntüs 2, we advise you to first install it without Internet, and then to get online on the first reboot to complete your installation.
For this version 1.07, the following fixes and improvements were made:
- Updated packages for Xubuntu 12.04.4, codecs and extensions contained in web browsers (Firefox, Chromium), Thunderbird mail reader.
- Update the extension Language Tools 2.4 for LibreOffice.
- Updated gCDEmu 2.0.0.
- Reorganized favorites in browsers.
- Updated Canon 2.70 pilots.
- Fixed launch dock for languages not supported.
- Corrected BOINC installation.
- Corrected VirtualBox installation.
According to the ADEME from manufacturing to disposal, through its use, each stage of the life of the computer equipment can be quantified by its environmental impact: making a computer and a screen requires 1.8 tons of resources (240 kg of fossil fuels, 22 kg of chemicals, 1500 liters of water).
The group Ecoinfo's priority is to act. Each member of the group does it by himself (purchase, maintenance, development of networks), but everyone of us can also contribute by his behavior. Their conclusion: " if it is already possible to intervene at all stages of the cycle of hardware, the most effective action is to limit the environmental impact of these materials by reducing your purchases and by increasing their life ! ".
- Extract from Lettre N°3 – Octobre 2008 : L'informatique omniprésente. Quel impact sur l'environnement ?
- 24 fois plus de CO2 lors de la fabrication d'un ordinateur que lors de son utilisation