This distribution is suitable for machines with at least a Pentium 4 with PAE support running at 1.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM and 20GB of free disk space for installation. For use in live mode or in a virtual machine, it is necessary to have at least 1 GB of RAM, for more information on this subject see the F.A.Q.
Remark : The Software preceded the following symbols :
- and marked in bold have been added compared to the previous version Emmabuntüs 2
Xubuntu 14.04 « Trusty Tahr » : A variant of Ubuntu, using the same basic concepts, Ubuntu is lighter, can be installed on computers rather old, and with poor hardware. The most visible difference is the use of lightweight desktop environment Xfce instead of Unity.
In this version the dock is available in seven languages:
- English (En)
- French (Fr)
- Spanish (Es)
- Arabic (Ar)
- German (De)
- Italian (It)
- Portuguese (Pt)
Mozilla Firefox : The preferred browser of the editorial board!
- Chromium : The free (as free speech) Web browser based on Google Chrome
Extensions included in the browsers
- Firefox Flash player : is a plugin or a standalone media player using the Flash technique. It's not free, but unfortunately necessary while waiting for the HTML5
Pepper Flash player : is a plugin for read Flash animation on Chromium
- Adblock Plus : is used to filter the content of web pages in order to block certain elements, especially banner ads
Blocksi : Finally the parental controls is built into Internet browsers. Remember to configure this extension, and to block access by password ;-)
Disconnect : Protects your privacy on the web ;-)
StartPage : A search engine than does not collect or share any personal information!
Mozilla Thunderbird : Probably the mail handler who will forget Out...
- Evolution : The Gnome email client including address book, calendar, portal information
- Pidgin (ex Gaim) : The instant messaging client, multi-protocol
- Skype : is a proprietary software based on a closed communication protocol, which raises ethical and safety (Skype is banned in French universities) concerns. Free alternatives exist : Jitsi and Empathy.
Jitsi : (formerly SIP Communicator) a free and open source multiplatform voice (VoIP), videoconferencing and instant messaging application
- qBittorrent : Bittorrent client very light
- Framapad : The collaborative online text editor, made available by Framasoft using the code EtherPad
- Google-docs : Online and collaborative suit
- AbiWord : An excellent lightweight free word processor very effective for beginners
- Gnumeric : The most excellent spreadsheet of the world Gnome
- Verbiste : To review its french conjugations ;-)
- Geany : An editor tailored for developers
- ePDFviewer : A very light file reader PDF
Clementine : Music player and modern manager of your music library
- Audacious : An easy to use audio player, but complete for audiophiles
- gpodder : Podcast aggregator
- Audacity : A very good and free editor sounds .Wav, .Ogg and .mp3
- Pulse Audio : cross-platform sound server. Here you may control the volume by application
- Easytag : A tag editor for audio files offer a simple and concise, especially using the freedb database to retrieve the music news
- Sound Juicer : Rip your audio CDs freely;-)
- Sound Converter : is a small program that is designed to easily convert batches of audio files into other formats
- PulseAudio Equalizer : is a 15 bands graphic equalizer for adjusting the sound of your system
- Radio Tray : Online radio streaming player
Kaffeine : Media player very complete
- Cheese : Smile and say « cheese »!
- WinFF : Encode easily your videos
- KDEnLive : is an intuitive and powerful multi-track video editor
- Arista : Video conversion software which supports many formats
- RecordMyDesktop : Software to make screencast, that is to say, capture a video of what is happening on your desktop
- Shotwell : Organizing images designed for Gnome and F-Spot
- Picasa : Software image management, visualization and organization on the Web, but not so Free :(
- Fotoxx : A simple software management and photo editing
- DigiKam : A new generation photo manager
Gimp : The king of image editors of the Free World
Inkscape : Open Source vector graphics editor
- Brasero : The Gnome project burner software
- Xfburn : The burner software included in the environment XFCE
- gCDEmu : CD/DVD Emulator
- HomeBank : Manage your personal finance easily !
- Gramps : And what if we create a family tree ?
- SweetHome3D : Virtual interior design software
- Stellarium : A planetarium platform for exploring the night sky
- Celestia : A special astronomy software
PlayOnLinux : To install games coming from proprietary OS-blind ;-)
- SuperTux2 : Super Mario with penguins !!!
- SuperTuxKart : Tux is back in a "Mario Kart Like" ... or "This is not because it is a Ekart need to deviate"
- TuxGuitar : Software for creating and playing guitar tablature
- Belooted : To play cards alone or with friends
- Dominos : To play dominoes, but you have already guessed !!! (Does not work on a 16/9 screen)
- WarMUX : is a free and open-source game in the genre of "turn-based artillery games"
- TuxPaint : Drawing learning for the young and those that still believe to be.
- TuxMath : To learn or to relearn our multiplication tables
- TuxTyping : Learn to type with the mascot of linux
- OmniTux : Following edutainment software
- PySyCache : Mouse usage learning software for kids
- ChildsPlay : A series of edutainment activities from 3 years old.
- Mister Patato (KTuberling) : To rediscover Mr. Potato
OOo4Kids : Finally an adapted office tool for students and children!
HPLIP : HP printers drivers
- Drivers Canon : Professional drivers for Canon printers
- pyRenamer : To easily rename a file, without using the horrible Linux command line !!!
- CatFish : It helps you recover your lost files
Wine : The famous non-Window emulators ...
- ARandR : Tool to manage the display settings of your screens
- Caffeine : to disable the screensaver while watching a movie. Available under Xubuntu Menu (top left of the screen) -> Accessories -> Caffeine and settings in the Systray
Ubuntu Tweak : System management and cleaning software
MultiSystem : With MultiSystem, simply create your MultiBoot LiveUSB
- Sysinfo : Some info on your system: CPU, RAM, peripherals, etc.
- Htop : System Monitor with interface
- Gparted : To partition your disks
- Déjà Dup : Very simple backup utility. It aims to hide the complexities relating to the proper way to make backup copies (encryption, backups or local network, frequency of taking backups)
TeamViewer : Non-free software for viewing and controlling a remote computer via Internet
- MintWifi : Command line utility to configure the WiFi card, from the Linux Mint distribution
- MintNanny : Tool to create blacklists of domain names in order to secure the network. It comes from the Linux Mint distribution
Remark : Descriptions of the above software comes from the following sites :
- The Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia
I also want to thank the artists for their wonderful work, and many elements, artworks that are reproduced here or included on the DVD distribution.
See details on the French version
I want to thank for their support, their aid, and encouragement all members of the Collective Emmabuntüs, without whom this adventure would not have been possible.
See details on the French version