This distribution is suitable for machines with at least a Pentium 4 running at 1.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM and 20GB of free disk space for installation. For use in live mode or in a virtual machine, it is necessary to have at least 1 GB of RAM, for more information on this subject see the F.A.Q.
It has been developped to allow to recondition machines within the Emmaus Communities of :
- Neuilly-Plaisance and Neuilly-sur-Marne (Neuilly Emmaüs Avenir)
- Montpellier (Emmaüs Montpellier)
- Perpignan (Emmaüs Catalogne)
- Ivry-sur-Seine and Charenton-le-Pont (Emmaüs Liberté)
Remark : The Software preceded the following symbols :
- and marked in bold have been added on the 1.04 version, see l'advertisement
- and marked in bold have been added on the 1.03 version, see l'advertisement
- and marked in bold have been added compared to the previous version Emmabuntüs Equitable.
Xubuntu 12.04 « Precise Pangolin » : A variant of Ubuntu, using the same basic concepts, Ubuntu is lighter, can be installed on computers rather old, and with poor hardware. The most visible difference is the use of lightweight desktop environment Xfce instead of Unity.
In this version the dock is available in seven languages:
- English (En)
- French (Fr)
- Spanish (Es)
- Arabic (Ar)
- German (De)
- Italian (It)
- Portuguese (Pt)
Mozilla Firefox : The preferred browser of the editorial board!
- Chromium : The free (as free speech) Web browser based on Google Chrome
Extensions included in the browsers
- Firefox Flash player : is a plugin or a standalone media player using the Flash technique. It's not free, but unfortunately necessary while waiting for the HTML5
- Moonlight is a free and open source implementation of Silverlight, to visualize some public channels TVs for example :-(
- Adblock Plus : is used to filter the content of web pages in order to block certain elements, especially banner ads
- All-in-One Gestures : allows the control the navigation only with the mouse
Blocksi : Finally the parental controls is built into Internet browsers. Remember to configure this extension, and to block access by password ;-)
Ghostery : Protects your privacy on the web ;-)
Syncplaces : Can synchronize your bookmarks and passwords between your browser.
Mozilla Thunderbird : Probably the mail handler who will forget Out...
- Evolution : The Gnome email client including address book, calendar, portal information
- Pidgin (ex Gaim) : The instant messaging client, multi-protocol
- Skype : is a proprietary software based on a closed communication protocol, which raises ethical and safety (Skype is banned in French universities) concerns. Free alternatives exist : Ekiga and Empathy.
- Ekiga : Ekiga (ex Gnomeeting), The Free IP Telephony !
- AMSN : A free close of MSN Messenger. Microsoft keeping its MSN protocol closed and regularly changing, some functionality may at any time no longer work with aMSN. For example, modified March 2010 audio calls made impossible with all clients MSN released before September 2010.
Wammu : Tool for managing many mobile phones
Google-docs : Online and collaborative suit
Dropbox : An online storage and sharing copies of local files
- AbiWord : An excellent lightweight free word processor very effective for beginners
- Gnumeric : The most excellent spreadsheet of the world Gnome
- Verbiste : To review its french conjugations ;-)
Geany : An editor tailored for developers
- Rhythmbox : The music player of the Gnome project
Clementine : Music player and modern manager of your music library
- Audacious : An easy to use audio player, but complete for audiophiles
- gpodder : Podcast aggregator
- Audacity : A very good and free editor sounds .Wav, .Ogg and .mp3
- Pulse Audio : cross-platform sound server. Here you may control the volume by application
Easytag : A tag editor for audio files offer a simple and concise, especially using the freedb database to retrieve the music news
Sound Juicer : Rip your audio CDs freely;-)
Sound Converter : is a small program that is designed to easily convert batches of audio files into other formats
Radio Tray : Online radio streaming player
SMplayer : Media player very simple and practical, yet comprehensive
- Movie Player (Totem) : The Gnome interface video player, it is installed by default and thus benefits a very good integration
- Cheese : Smile and say « cheese » !
- MythTV : Digital recording software (Analog, Digital, WebTV, etc.) expandable to a station via a comprehensive multimedia system extensions
Openshot : Video editor of new generation of non-linear video editing
WinFF : Encode easily your videos
KDEnLive : is an intuitive and powerful multi-track video editor
Arista : Video conversion software which supports many formats
RecordMyDesktop : Software to make screencast, that is to say, capture a video of what is happening on your desktop
- Shotwell : Organizing images designed for Gnome and F-Spot
- Picasa : Software image management, visualization and organization on the Web, but not so Free :(
- Fotoxx : A simple software management and photo editing
- DigiKam : A new generation photo manager
Gimp : The king of image editors of the Free World
- Gnome Photo Printer : Application that can print pictures just as boards
Inkscape : Open Source vector graphics editor
- K3b : Perhaps the best reference for burning in Linux
- Brasero : The Gnome project burner software
- Xfburn : The burner software included in the environment XFCE
gCDEmu : CD/DVD Emulator
- HomeBank : Manage your personal finance easily !
- Gramps : And what if we create a family tree ?
- SweetHome3D : Virtual interior design software
- Stellarium : A planetarium platform for exploring the night sky
- Celestia : A special astronomy software
PlayOnLinux : To install games coming from proprietary OS-blind ;-)
- SuperTux2 : Super Mario with penguins !!!
- SuperTuxKart : Tux is back in a "Mario Kart Like" ... or "This is not because it is a Ekart need to deviate"
- TuxGuitar : Software for creating and playing guitar tablature
- Belooted : To play cards alone or with friends
- Dominos : To play dominoes, but you have already guessed !!! (Does not work on a 16/9 screen)
- TuxPaint : Drawing learning for the young and those that still believe to be.
- TuxMath : To learn or to relearn our multiplication tables
- TuxTyping : Learn to type with the mascot of linux
- OmniTux : Following edutainment software
- GCompris : Excellent educational software (2 to 10 years old approx.)
- PySyCache : Mouse usage learning software for kids
- ChildsPlay : A series of edutainment activities from 3 years old.
- Le Terrier : Educationnal package for children
- Mister Patato (KTuberling) : To rediscover Mr. Potato
OOo4Kids : Finally an adapted office tool for students and children!
HPLIP : HP printers drivers
- Drivers Canon : Professional drivers for Canon printers
- pyRenamer : To easily rename a file, without using the horrible Linux command line !!!
- CatFish : It helps you recover your lost files
- VirtualBox : Virtualization software
- Wine : The famous non-Window emulators ...
- BOINC : Powerful distributed computing platform to help science
xl-wallpaper : is a very lightweight wallpapers changer
ARandR : Tool to manage the display settings of your screens
Caffeine : to disable the screensaver while watching a movie. Available under Xubuntu Menu (top left of the screen) -> Accessories -> Caffeine and settings in the Systray
Ubuntu Tweak : System management and cleaning software
BleachBit : quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy
MultiSystem : With MultiSystem, simply create your MultiBoot LiveUSB
- Sysinfo : Some info on your system: CPU, RAM, peripherals, etc.
- Htop : System Monitor with interface
- Gparted : To partition your disks
Déjà Dup : Very simple backup utility. It aims to hide the complexities relating to the proper way to make backup copies (encryption, backups or local network, frequency of taking backups)
TeamViewer : Non-free software for viewing and controlling a remote computer via Internet
MintWifi : Command line utility to configure the WiFi card, from the Linux Mint distribution
MintNanny : Tool to create blacklists of domain names in order to secure the network. It comes from the Linux Mint distribution
Remark : Descriptions of the above software comes from the following sites :
- The Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia
I also want to thank the artists for their wonderful work, and many elements, artworks that are reproduced here or included on the DVD distribution.
See details on the French version
I want to thank for their support, their aid, and encouragement all members of the Collective Emmabuntüs, without whom this adventure would not have been possible.
See details on the French version