December 18th 2014 Emmabuntus 2 participed degooglisons internet
December 18th, 2014
Emmabuntüs 2 participed campaign
« Dégooglisons Internet »
On December 18th, 2014, the Emmabuntüs Team is pleased to announce the new Emmabuntüs 2 1.09 (32 and 64 bit) based on Xubuntu 12.04.5. This distribution was designed to be used for the refurbishing of computers given to humanitarian organizations, especially Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution's name comes from), and to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of hardware to reduce over consumption of raw materials (*).
This Emmabuntüs 2 release includes enhancements of release 3, except that it is built from the Xubuntu 12.04.5. We have redesigned the security of privacy (Startpage and HTTPS Everywhere) to participate in the campaign "Dégooglisons Internet" [Editor's note of Framasoft extract: This "World release plan" is entitled “Dégooglisons Internet” to raise public awareness and offer to the Free Services, Ethical, and Solidarity Decentralized facing each Application privatrice, centralizing, exploitative and enclosing we can fight], accessibility and training, incorporating the voice synthesizer Svox Pico and OOo4Kidsen completed extensions to allow oral reading of words, sentences (PicoSvoxOOo), and coloring syllables (LireCouleur) to better help children in learning to read.
To speech synthesizer was associated gSpeech, the software to allow everyone to be able to listen to web pages, books in Calibre, or articles in Kiwix. This application does not read a book in a single pass, but can read by pages.
For this version 1.09, following fixes and upgrades have been made:
- Based on Xubuntu 14.02.5.
- Adding extensions Startpage and HTTPS Everywhere in Firefox and Chromium
- Adding Pepper Flash in Chromium
- Replacing parental control Blocksi by Webfilter in Firefox
- Adding Voice SVOX Pico synthesis in 5 languages: En, En, Es, It, De
- Adding gSpeech to allow easy reading-speech document
- Adding OOo4Kids in 6 languages: En, En, Es, Pt, It, De
- Adding to OOo4Kids the following extensions: PicoSvoxOOo, LireCouleur and Grammalecte
- Update the extension Language Tools 2.7 for LibreOffice
- Adding FreeTuxTV and Minitube
- Updating LibreOffice 4.2
- Incorporation of GnuChess and GnuCap for Gcompris Application
- Fixed demand of constant updating from Picasa
- Menu to “remove languages” in several languages
- Correcting the installation of Calibri font after filtering on the Microsoft site
- Disabling GMENU to display notifications when installing new applications
To ensure proper installation of Emmabuntüs 2, we advise you to install it first without Internet, and then to get online on the first reboot to complete your installation.
According to the ADEME from manufacturing to disposal, through its use, each stage of the life of the computer equipment can be quantified by its environmental impact: making a computer and a screen requires 1.8 tons of resources (240 kg of fossil fuels, 22 kg of chemicals, 1500 liters of water).
For the Ecoinfo's group the priority is to act. Each member of the group does it by himself (purchasing, maintenance, development of networks), but everyone of us can also contribute by his personal behavior. Their conclusion: " if it is already possible to intervene at all stages of the cycle of hardware, the most effective action you can have is to limit the environmental impact of these materials by reducing your purchases and by increasing their life ! ".