December 18th 2014 Emmabuntus 2 participed degooglisons internet
December 18th, 2014
Emmabuntüs 2 pjoined the campaign
« Ungoogle Internet »
This distribution was designed with the following goals :
- Refurbishing of computers given to humanitarian organizations, especially Emmaüs communities (which, by the way, is where the distribution's name comes from)
- Extend the hardware lifespan in order to reduce the over-consumption of raw materials (*).
This Emmabuntüs 2 release includes enhancements already made in the released version 3, except that it is built on top of the Xubuntu 12.04.5. We have redesigned the security for privacy (Startpage and HTTPS Everywhere) to be part of the campaign « Ungoogle Internet »
[Editor's note, excerpt from Framasoft : This "Plan to free the world" is entitled “Ungoogle Internet” to raise the public awareness and propose Services which are Free, Ethical, Solidarity and Decentralized, to fight all these Applications which are privative, centralized, exploitive and enclosing]
This release also features improvement for accessibility and training, by including the speech synthesizer Svox Pico and the Office Suite for Kids OOo4Kids with enhancements to allow vocal reading of words, sentences (PicoSvoxOOo), and the syllables coloring (LireCouleur) in order to better help children during their read training exercises.
The speech synthesizer, coupled with the gSpeech application allows everyone to listen to Internet pages, or his/her books under Calibre, or papers within Kiwix. This application does not read a book in a single pass, but allows you to read it page by page.
For this version 1.09, the following fixes and upgrades were made:
- Based on Xubuntu 12.04.5.
- Added extensions Startpage and HTTPS Everywhere in Firefox and Chromium
- Added Pepper Flash in Chromium
- Replaced parental control Blocksi by Webfilter in Firefox
- Added Svox Pico speeech synthesis, supporting 5 languages: Fr, En, Es, It, De
- Added gSpeech to allow easy document reading using speech synthesis
- Added OOo4Kids , supporting 6 languages: Fr, En, Es, Pt, It, De
- Added the extensions: PicoSvoxOOo, LireCouleur and Grammalecte into the OOo4Kids suite
- Added FreeTuxTV and Minitube
- Updated LibreOffice to version 4.2
- Updated to Language Tools Extension 2.7 for LibreOffice
- Included GnuChess and GnuCap for Gcompris Application
- Fixed the request for constant updating within Picasa
- Menu for “removing languages” exits now in several languages
- Fixed the non-installation of Calibri fonts after Microsoft site filtering
- Disabled GMENU to display notifications when installing new applications
To ensure proper installation of Emmabuntüs 2, we advise you to install it first without Internet access, and then to go on-line upon the first reboot to complete your installation.
Note : According to the ADEME from manufacturing to disposal, through its use, each stage of the life of the computer equipment can be quantified by its environmental impact: making a computer and a screen requires 1.8 tons of resources (240 kg of fossil fuels, 22 kg of chemicals, 1500 liters of water).
For the Ecoinfo's group the top priority is to act. Each member of the group does it by himself (purchasing, maintenance, development of networks), but everyone of us can also contribute by his personal behavior. Their conclusion: " if it is already possible to get involved at all stages of the hardware cycle, the most effective action you can have is to limit the environmental impact of these materials by reducing your purchases and by increasing their life-time ! ".